From class trip to nightmare

In World News on November 23, 2010 at 8:08 pm

By: Tinsley Tullos

Natalee Holloway, a graduate of Mountain Brook High School in Birmingham, Alabama, accompanied her senior class of 125 students to the island of Aruba in 2005. For five years now, emotions have been aroused as to why Holloway never showed up on Monday, May 30 for her departure back to the United States.

After five years of her daughter being missing, Natalee Holloway's mother visited the main suspect in her daughter's murder case. Photo courtesy of Google images

Holloway was last seen leaving a nightclub with three males; 17-year-old Jordan Van Der Sloot, 21-year-old Deepak Kalpoe and 18-year-old Satist Kalpoe. All three stated they had dropped 18-year-old Holloway off at the hotel she was staying at long before the night had ended, but their stories have yet to remain the same. In 2007, after many hard police investigations, the search for the missing teen had ended. 

Five years to the day, on May 30, 2010, 21-year-old Stephany Flores was found stabbed and beaten in the hotel room of Jordan Van Der Sloot located at a casino in Peru, where Sloot and Flores had met just a few hours earlier. After being taken in and questioned by the police, Sloot had confessed to killing Flores and was then taken to the airport to be arrested in Chile.

In the meantime, Sloot had tried to extort $250,000 from Holloway’s family for clues as to where Holloway’s body might be located.  $15,000 were wired into Sloot’s Netherlands’ bank account by Holloway’s mother and was then used to travel to Peru for a gambling tournament where he had met Flores. Sloot was not only arrested for Flores’ murder, but for the crime of extorting money from Holloway’s family.

Beth Holloway, Holloway’s mother, had allegedly snuck into Miguel Castro Castro Jail, Peru’s central prison, to speak with suspect Jordan Van Der Sloot. The only thing Beth Holloway wanted to know was where and why. She pleaded with Sloot stating she just wanted to know where her daughter’s body might be found. Sloot gave Beth Holloway no answers, and instead kept reiterating the countless “bad” decisions he had made in the past. She was then asked to leave because she did not have permission to stay any longer. Reports now show that Beth Holloway did not sneak in to see Sloot, as she had been wired with cameras and microphones from the help of Dutch crime reporter, Peter de Vries.

The recent discovery of a jaw bone off the shores of Aruba, found by a tourist, is now being investigated for DNA matches towards Holloway. If the matches prove true, this jaw bone will be the first tangible piece of evidence in Holloway’s case and could have reason to restart investigation.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: